The Ultimate Liberator!

For the seekers of knowledge
Can there be a knowledge?
better than
The Knowledge of The Divine, Shri Rama!

The one who liberated
Even the blades of grasses
And all the swarms of ants

Leaving none behind
That ever existed
In the Good City of Ayodhya

And placed them in
An exotic heaven
Created exclusively for them
By the Great Grandshire Brahma!

-Nammazhvaar


Ramayanam is Agriculture
Bhagavatham is Harvest
-Me


The twin-syllable, Rama
When a devotee exalts!
The Birth-Death cycle
It permanently halts

Goodness and Wealth
It everyday brings
Sin and poverty
It cleanses and shrinks

-Kambar


Goodness Honesty Sweetness Simplicity
Gentleness Strength Humility Bravery
Valour Talent Prowess Success
Memory Trustworthiness Heroism Genuinity
Such adorable qualities and so much more
By chanting Rama's name you will score!

-Me

My Lord's Story: Goodness Incarnate

Ramayanam in English poetry.

The Supreme Lord of the Universe was once born on this earth as a Human Being, faced challenges and had His share of pain and pleasure going through both good and bad times like any of us. Like any of us He too, took His turn in laughter and cry.

This humility of The Lord, that makes Him come down to earth and share with us our difficulties to show us a way to handle them is what I admire in Him. This quality of Him, makes me surrender to Him unconditionally and makes me want to sing His Glory on and on and on.

My Lord's Story is an out pour of my devotion that seeps out in gratitude for the pains He took to be a lighthouse for us, to cross the ocean of Samsara.

Links to all the posts have been provided in an order on the right side column.


Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sumanthra narrates Lord Rama’s Birth

Sumanthra smiled at all the citizens
For deciding to become forest’s denizens
He turned towards Rama with anxious avidity
Hoping Rama would relax His decision’s rigidity

The crowd entreatingly looked at Rama seeking permission
To serve Him in the forest with humble submission
Accepting as fees whatever He pays
And to be with Him wherever He stays

Rama was not very amused by what the people did
From His people, this was not what He bid
Rama’s face was grim without light
His empathy for His people, He held back tight

Seeing Rama being very quiet and grim
From Sumanthra’s eyes tears did brim
He decided that he must not wait anymore
So, to speak for the people, he came before

“Rama, there are things in my mind, I like to speak
Incase they are wrong, Your forgiveness I seek
I speak not just for me but all
In whose hearts and minds You stand tall

You do not deserve to be here now
You must not have taken this terrible vow
You are supposed to be The King of the earth
Which is the very reason You took birth

I like to tell You the story of Your nascence
Please do hear it with forbearance and patience
The elders gathered here already know it
But I am sure they too are eager to hear it

Those were the days when Your father
Was deeply worried that he could not father
A son to do his work after he was gone
Not a day went by without him mourn

He had earned much fame as a warrior
To his increasing wealth there was no barrier
Even to the King of the Devas, he was at par
For he helped the Devas win a crucial war

But this lack of a heir was like a thorn
I could very well see that his heart was torn
Not that he did not experience, a father’s joy
But the child that gave it to him was not a boy

He already had a beautiful daughter
His love for her did not falter
A king named Romapada wanted to adopt her
The wish was fulfilled by Your father

Though she was his only child
Romapada’s request did not make him wild
He craved for a son, not for his selfish needs
But to be his successor and continue his deeds

Those he did with his citizens in mind
For Your father is the most selfless kind
One day he discussed with Vashishta, his preceptor
About his grief in not having a suitable inheritor

For a moment Vashishta closed his eyes
And it took a moment for him to realise
That Your father’s sorrow was only temporary
He reassured Your father, no need to worry

He instructed Your father about a ritual to perform
And drew some guidelines for Your father to conform
He also wanted an ascetic, Rishyashringa, to be invited
Who would perform the ritual on being humbly incited

After years together I saw Your father smile
In expressing his feelings, he was never wile
He started making arrangements with renewed brisk
The majestic moustache of his, often did he whisk

He set off to Anga ruled by Romapada, his friend
For he wanted his friend to commend
Rishyashringa to him, until the ritual was over
The ascetic had settled there and was no more a rover

Romapada sent Rishyashringa without delaying further
With utmost joy, as he could repay Your father
For giving him a daughter who was married now
To Rishyashring, who had ended his celibate vow

Rishyashringa performed the ritual with expertise
With an expression expressing profound peace
He offered ghee to the fire scoop after scoop
With Brahmins chanting sacred manthras in group

From the fire arose a celestial being
When everyone there, with awe, was seeing
He was quite handsome and blue in complexion
He handed a pot to your father in humble submission

The pot contained a payasam, divine
Prepared by the gods, tasty and benign
Among the three queens, it was shared
The queens happily relished it and fared

As time went by the queens conceived
Your father’s joy was truly retrieved
He gifted the man who came with the news
With jewels and clothes reserved for his use

He waived all taxes for a year
He wanted all his people to cheer
And bless you and your brothers heartily
With abundant love and wishes happily

Food, clothes, jewels and cattle were gifted at large
For services offered to public he accepted the charge
Just for the news of pregnancy he did so much
The ecstasy he was in, I cannot explain as such

The day arrived when You were born
His exalted happiness knew no bourn
On the ninth day after the newest moon
You were born with a silver spoon

The star Punarvasu shined for You, bright
To declare, for the entire humanity, You will be light
The month was Chaitra, the first of the year
Seers said, You were born to dispel fear

Five of the planets were in their exalted positions
To help You achieve the ends of Your decisions
You were born on a Wednesday of the week
To protect people like me, timid and weak

You were the first born amongst Your brothers
Your father started to fly without sprouting feathers
He waived taxes for the next seven years
And released all prisoners dispelling their fears

He declared to the nation, it was celebration time
With regard to happiness he was at his prime
He left the treasury open for common men
The noble men never emptied it, even then

To the gifts that were given there were no counts
Food, jewels and clothes were piled like mounts
On every street through out the nation
And distributed to everyone without any ration

He did all this not because he saw you as his son
But as a King who would make the nation run
I say all this because I want you to know
That your exile to him is an unbearable blow

I know you are doing this to uphold the truth
The very way Your forefathers acted in their youth
But You have a father who is more than a mother
For his well being too, You must bother

Though I hate to speak ominous words
In my mind do fly some doubtful birds
That Your father may not survive this shock
Though I pray to God to falsify my talk

So please Rama, come back to the city
And protect us all from a state of pity
I know Your will is too strong to change
Your determination equals the Himalayan range

But I also know that You have a heart
That loves everyone leaving none apart
Confiding on that love, I appeal to thee
To be with Your father, please return with me”

Saying thus with flowing tears and folded palms
Sumanthra looked at Rama as if seeking alms
Lord Rama put down his head, hiding brimming tears
For He was not going to wipe that good man’s tears

Rama decided to be like a rock on the hill
For a promise cannot be quashed at will
What Rama showed was not mere adamant grit
Based on values and reason He had determined it

Rama composed Himself and at the minister He looked
Eager to hear Him, the crowd was hooked
“No man’s life is more precious than the truth
I am sorry if I act like I have no ruth

While bothering for a man’s earthly life
We must also think about His state after life
It is better to die with an esteemed name
Than to live with unending shame

While I say this, I too pray
That till I return my father must stay
Hale, healthy and happy taking rest
And wait for my return, hoping for the best

My dear people, the same goes to you
I beg your forgiveness for shunning you
Start towards the city tomorrow at dawn
And stop trying to change what has gone

If you really like to meet my demand
Go surrender yourself to Bharatha’s command
If you disobey my words and show no care
That would put me in shame, which I cannot bear”

The people were all vexed on hearing this
Anyway they decided to fulfill his wish
The elders in the crowd showered Him with blessings
The youngsters fell at His feet, seeking His blessings

Though not happy, they realised His greatness
And decided to let go, their own stubbornness
They decided to spend the night with Ram talking stories
So that, that night would be evergreen in their memories

Sumanthra appreciated Rama for being clear and firm
And wished Him best while completing the exile term
“Though, to my words, You have not paid heed
My heart is not hurt but proud by Your deed

Forgive me for trying to sway
Your grit in walking Dharma’s way
I learnt from You, even in such young age
One could possess clarity in Dharma like a sage

I realise, You are of the greatest Kind
For men like me to comprehend
I accept Your command though it pains
To the city I would direct my chariot’s reins”

Thus Lord Rama succeeded in persuading his people
In protecting Dharma, He stood tall like a steeple
With a will like a hill, unmoved by a storm
Jai Shri Ram! Jai Jai Shri Ram!!

No comments: