The Ultimate Liberator!

For the seekers of knowledge
Can there be a knowledge?
better than
The Knowledge of The Divine, Shri Rama!

The one who liberated
Even the blades of grasses
And all the swarms of ants

Leaving none behind
That ever existed
In the Good City of Ayodhya

And placed them in
An exotic heaven
Created exclusively for them
By the Great Grandshire Brahma!

-Nammazhvaar


Ramayanam is Agriculture
Bhagavatham is Harvest
-Me


The twin-syllable, Rama
When a devotee exalts!
The Birth-Death cycle
It permanently halts

Goodness and Wealth
It everyday brings
Sin and poverty
It cleanses and shrinks

-Kambar


Goodness Honesty Sweetness Simplicity
Gentleness Strength Humility Bravery
Valour Talent Prowess Success
Memory Trustworthiness Heroism Genuinity
Such adorable qualities and so much more
By chanting Rama's name you will score!

-Me

My Lord's Story: Goodness Incarnate

Ramayanam in English poetry.

The Supreme Lord of the Universe was once born on this earth as a Human Being, faced challenges and had His share of pain and pleasure going through both good and bad times like any of us. Like any of us He too, took His turn in laughter and cry.

This humility of The Lord, that makes Him come down to earth and share with us our difficulties to show us a way to handle them is what I admire in Him. This quality of Him, makes me surrender to Him unconditionally and makes me want to sing His Glory on and on and on.

My Lord's Story is an out pour of my devotion that seeps out in gratitude for the pains He took to be a lighthouse for us, to cross the ocean of Samsara.

Links to all the posts have been provided in an order on the right side column.


Monday, November 21, 2011

Bharatha's Impeccant Heart

Bharatha had woken up, having inauspicious dreams
Memories of Dasaratha in his mind, gushed in streams
For reasons unknown he was uneasy and moody
Not talking to anyone properly he was broody

Shatrughna seeing Bharatha like that, became worried
News about their dullness, to their Uncle, hurried
Kaikeyi’s blood brother, Yudhajith, was their uncle
His father Asvapathi, King of Kekaya was old with wrinkle

Asvapathi and Yudhajith came to Bharatha’s presence
About Bharatha’s mood out, they wanted the essence
Bharatha told about his dreams that were inauspicious
About Dasaratha’s and Rama’s wellness he was suspicious

“I saw my father with oil in hands that were cupped
Without leaving a drop, he then completely sipped
Wearing torn clothes, he continuously laughed
As if caught by disease, now and then he coughed

He traveled south in a chariot driven by donkeys
Watching this and playing were a few monkeys
I saw stars and the moon falling from the sky
I saw mothers Kausalya and Sumitra helplessly cry

It is bad to see such dreams at dawn
Since I woke up my peace is gone
My father’s chest to my face, I want to tug
My beloved Lord Shri Rama, I want to hug

It has been quite a while, since I came here
With my parents and my brothers, I want to be near
My heart is wrecked by unknown fear
I regret I am not an all knowing seer”

Bharatha’s face was writ with a worry line
His grand father was worried, he would not dine
He brought before Bharatha royal courtesans
In making someone laugh they were expert artisans

For Bharatha, his wife Mandavi was no more a charm
His brother Shatrughna’s hug failed to make him warm
When all attempts to lighten Bharatha became fail
Messengers from Ayodhya came, carrying mail

The letter written by Sage Vashishta was superficial
It said Bharatha must return at once, for reasons official
Bharatha became eager and anxious to reach home soon
The prospect of seeing Rama made his face glow like the moon

Without heart, Asvapathi and Yudhajith, said their farewell
Without patience, Bharatha and Shatrughna, started their travel
Accompanying them were their grand father’s troupes
On horses, elephants and chariots they came in groups

They carried gifts from their king of enormous quantity
Gold ornaments, gems and silks, all, of supreme quality
They started at dawn from Rajagriha, Kekaya’s capital city
They traveled fast and safe with a mind that was witty

Through cities, villages and forests they quickly traveled
Across mountains, rivers and deserts their path unraveled
Where water and shade was available, they took rest
They knew, for the horses and elephants, it would be best

After traveling for seven days and seven nights
They could at last see, Ayodhya’s palace heights
But Bharatha was not happy with the sight
Caught by fright, his face became white

He could not see the flag that usually flutters
Shops along the streets were closed with shutters
He noticed, in the temples mantras were not uttered
People, at his sight, turned away their faces and muttered

People who always adored him, did not smile
The city which always buzzed had lost its style
Bharatha, after those dreams, was already troubled
On seeing the state of the city, his fear was doubled

Bharatha looked for his father all around the palace
Then he went and saw Kaikeyi whose face was callous
Seeing her face, anything untoward, he did not suspect
He fell at his mother’s feet and showed his respect

“Where has dad gone, my dear mum?
He will be glad to know, I have come
Hale and healthy, is he well?
I’m eager to know, please do tell!”

On her face there was no remorse
For choosing to walk the evil course
Thinking, her achievement will make him glad
She spoke with pride, to her innocent lad

“To what has happened there are two sides
From one person to other, luck always slides
The Kingdom to you, has been rendered
As your father’s luck, like his life, abruptly ended”

It took some time for Bharatha to grasp
Once he understood, he started to gasp
He fell on the floor, like a tree that is axed
Yet Kaikeyi stood like a giant, fully relaxed

Shatrughna too was completely baffled
Yet, the falling Bharatha, he tried to scaffold
On Bharatha’s cheeks, he gently patted
Cool water from his hands, he gently spatted

Bharatha awoke and asked his mother what she said
Unmoved Kaikeyi repeated that the king was dead
Catching his head Bharatha sat on the floor
His wailing was heard long beyond the palace door

Shatrughna on one side inconsolably cried
On the other, to console Bharatha, he tried
Sitting on the floor he cried like an orphan
Sorrows and shocks had not visited him often

The brothers cried for long hugging each other
They then became calm remembering their brother
The thought of Rama soothed their heart
Lord Rama to them, was the only resort

Kaikeyi watched them cry, as if it was childish
To the glory of the family she was a blemish
Bharatha turned to her for solace, not yet realising her nature
Like a pearl born in a stinking shell, he was an impeccant creature

“Mother! For Rama’s presence in the palace, I see no sign
Is my Lord and God, the ruler of my heart, doing fine?
As father is dead, he must now be leading the country
But in every direction I look, I do not see his entry!”

Bharatha looked at Kaikeyi, very eager!
Kaikeyi spoke as if, Rama’s importance was meager
“Oh! Rama! He lives in the forest donning deer skin
Sita and Lakshman too have followed suit, akin!”

Bharatha’s head was now reeling
Sheer pain was his only feeling
On hearing this news, he was totally confused
With a lot of questions, his mind was infused

‘A prince to live in the forest would mean
That, in evil and anarchic ways he had been
Why will noble Rama, the keeper of justice
Be punished as if he did an act of malice?’

Now he could connect the two apparent dots
Question after question buzzed in his thoughts
‘Father must have died on seeing Brother go!
Why did Brother to the forest, have to go?’

‘How did The Gem, who deserves all goodness
To be exiled from the kingdom, deem fitness?’
Bharatha knew Rama would not have flawed
This made Bharatha’s heart even more gnawed

“Mother! So many questions, your vague statements arouse
Please tell me clearly, why did Brother have to leave the house?
Our mighty king‘s life has been eaten by the fatal mouse
Yet you seem indifferent, being father’s favourite spouse”

All that had happened, Kaikeyi decided to reveal
She wanted to put it in a way that would appeal
To Bharatha’s heart and give him a desire
To decorate himself with the regal attire

“To make you King I acted clever and fast
I exiled Rama, and the king breathed his last
Your father! And Brother! Leave them aside!
About crowning yourself, you must decide

I have won the kingdom with an idea of my make
Now the Kingdom of Kosala, is yours to take
I have taken care that no one will dare to talk
While towards the throne, you royally walk! ”

Saying thus Kaikeyi smiled with pride
That was the last time, that way, she smiled
Bharatha became furious and her pride was crushed
On to her fallen face, the shameful blood rushed

“What the hell are you talking, you ugly bitch?
To me you have become a lifetime itch!
How did you expect I will support this treason?
For me to live, you have wiped off all reason!

My beloved father, you have wickedly killed
Why does your heart beat without becoming stilled?
Who in the world told you, that I would steal?
My Lord’s throne, before which, I will always kneel?

I am unable to control my fuming anger
I will crush you to death, if I stay any longer
I am afraid My Lord Rama will dislike such act
That is the only reason you are still in tact”

Saying thus Bharatha walked out of her room
All of Kaikeyi’s dreams were fallen to doom
Shatrughna silently followed though boiling with rage
Without Bharatha’s consent he would not turn a page

Bharatha rushed to Kausalya and fell at her feet
Kausalya towards him tried but failed to be sweet
“For you to rule, the Kingdom has been won
You can now happily sit, in the place of my son

If only you told him, you wanted the kingdom to rule
My son would have gifted it happily and remained cool
Yet your mother acted with a mind that was bent
To the forest for fourteen years, he was unjustly sent”

“Mother! Mother! Mother! Don’t doubt me please
If you do so my life would immediately cease
Do not think of me, any different from Ram
Without Him, I am a tree fallen by storm

Anymore, do not think of me as Kaikeyi’s son
Relationship between her and me is long undone
In exiling My Lord, if I had a hand
In the deadliest of hells, may I land!”

Saying this before Kausalya, Bharatha pleadingly knelt
Seeing this, Kausalya’s motherly heart started to melt
Kausalya blessed him passing her hand through his hair
She asked him to do, what he thought was fair

“Forgive me son! For talking thus
I have lost my mind in this fuss
All wellness upon you, I heartily bless
Do what is right, as per your guess

Bereft of my husband, bereft of my son
To live on this earth, I have reasons none
You sitting on the throne, I won’t hate to see
But with my beloved Rama, I long to be

My son and me, if you can unite
I will be grateful, for giving me respite”
Saying these words Kausalya became quiet
Even those words, to Bharatha, were a bitter diet

“Mother! I will certainly take you to that immaculate sapphire
But to sit and rule, in my Lord’s place, I have no desire
Anyone thinking of me as a usurper is unbearable shame
I will do what it takes to wipe off this dirt from my name”

Saying thus Bharatha took leave from Kausalya and went
To Sage Vashishta’s ashram seeking guidance and consent
Vashishta advised Bharatha to ritually cremate
Dasaratha’s preserved body before it is late

Dasaratha’s body was kept, soaked in oil
In a large golden vessel to prevent spoil
Dasaratha’s body was bathed and royally dressed
Then on an ornate palanquin, it was made to rest

The dead king was taken royally to the cremation ground
Trumpets, conches and drums made his greatness resound
A white umbrella and canopy, above the king’s body towered
From both sides of the path, fragrant flowers were showered

The procession was followed by people creating a rattle
Talking about the king’s, mercy in giving and valour in battle
To the royal family, condolences were said
Tears of love and sorrow were silently shed

The king’s body was kept on a sandalwood pyre
Bharatha to it, sadly set fire
On the banks of Sarayu, the king was burnt
Lessons of impermanence were once again learnt

The tall and hefty Dasaratha was now a handful of ash
Which was offered to and dissolved by Sarayu’s splash
In offering water and sesame, Bharatha did Rama’s role
To quench the thirst and hunger of the departed soul

Carrying only the King’s memories as remnants
His family and friends returned to their residence
Bharatha and Shatrughna started to mourn
And remained so, until ten days were gone

Sage Vashishta approached Bharatha, eleventh day morning
Informed him that it was high time he ended the mourning
He said, ministers and citizens were anxiously assembled
Fearing, without a king, the kingdom will become dissembled

“Bharatha! The kingdom needs a king and the country a ruler
Without Dasaratha and Rama, you must now act as leader
If no one from the Royal House, takes over control
Evil in every field will start to soon enroll

Without a judge to do justice
Prosperous will become, injustice
People will loose faith in sticking to Dharma
They will no more do their prescribed Karma

Do not keep your lips anymore tight
Overcome your grief and do what is right
On you is fixed, everyone’s expectant sight
Lead us all, as a man of might!

Rama has moved, to make you way
To honour and make true, His father’s say
Things needed for your coronation, are all ready
Make a decision and act with intellect that is heady”

After listening to this silently, Bharatha nodded
He knew the country by a king, must be guarded
After some thought he made up his mind
Vashishta walked to the court and he went behind

Bharatha fell prostrate before his father’s throne
Tears welled up on seeing the empty throne
He circumambulated the items used by the king
Then he stood with firmness amidst the people ring

“Venerable Gurudev! Honourable ministers and fellow men!
The house of the Ikshvaku’s has been wrecked by a hen
To get me the throne, without my consent, my mother has vied
So our Lord Rama has left us and our king has died

Now the kingdom is like a woman without husband
And we, its citizens, like children who are orphaned
I have no desire or strength to be a king
An eagle’s job cannot be done by a sparrow’s wing

Noble Rama, the mighty Dasaratha’s favourite son
To rule us like a God, He is the only one
It has been the desire of our king at start
In this very place, before all, he had revealed his heart

And all of you, dear fellow men, have jumped with joy
Celebrated, blessed and supported Rama as your own Boy
The wish of all must not be crushed for one woman’s whim
We must make Rama our King and start serving him

For, that God among men, with mighty arms
Knows all nuances of Dharma and ethical norms
When that mighty man protects us, being our head
Enemies will not dare to attack, fearing blood shed

He has ultimate faith in the strength of truth
For every creature’s welfare, He thinks with ruth
See the way He happily gave up his right
And sacrificed all comfort without fight

Now! That prince who deserves all wellness
Live like a mendicant in the wilderness
All because He wanted me, his beloved brother
To happily adorn, the royal feather”

Bharatha, when he said this became overwhelmed
His flow of speech for a moment got stemmed
Then he composed himself and continued to talk
Clearing that, his mother’s greedy wish, he would balk

“My Brother Rama to me is like a God
I consider Him as my guide and guard
I will jump into fire if He commands!
I will give up my life, if He demands!

My Lord Rama has the largest heart
Welfare of all always fills his thought
He would even forgive the greatest offender
He always protects the ones who humbly surrender

He is a mother to them giving what is best
He is a servant in doing for them what is best
He is always a man of His words
He would allow them to be free like birds

To solve ego issues, He would try to bend
For people who err He gives time to amend
Even for His enemy’s welfare, He would sincerely wish
He would happily remain hungry, if he has to offer His dish

By character that is spotless he is gold
His greatness for eons will be told
I am only fortunate to be the brother of such a great man
To spend every second of life for him, I will do all I can

Sitting at His feet and seeing his face
I love to forget myself singing his grace
I wish to keep His feet on my thigh
And look at it forgetting hours go by

To make Him laugh, I like to joke
And get from Him an appreciative stroke
Reading texts, I want to sit by His side
And discuss on topics He would decide

I would like to see him sleep and then go to bed
And be back at dawn, to see him wake, near his bed
I like to sit by His side and eat my food
And hear from Him, all that is good

Leading such a life has always been my dream
In my heart flows, for him, a devotional stream
I am unable to accept this kingdom he readily gave
I would surrender it to his feet, and be His slave”

Hearing this effulgence of love towards a Brother
Everyman in the court, towards Bharatha, became a mother
They blessed Bharatha with tears and all their heart
To go to the jungle and bring Rama, they were eager to start

Bharatha ordered his army to prepare for the journey which was long
He invited every one in the city who wished to come, to join along
His plan was to crown Rama in the jungle and bring Him back
He wanted Rama, only as a King, to return in the track

Rama’s fave elephant Shatrunjayan, which was strong
For Rama to travel back on it, was to be taken along
It was bathed and decorated with ornaments of gold
It trumpeted shedding off its grief, till then untold

With Sage Vashishta heading it, the procession started
Even new born babies, for Rama, promptly departed
Men and women, both young and old
Journeyed as if to get a treasure of gold

They danced with joy to music that was heard for far
Bharatha, like Rama, had become their super star
All the way, they sang the glories of Bharatha and Ram
All the way they shouted, “Jai Shri Ram! Jai Jai Shri Ram!!”

3 comments:

Sherlet Joseph said...

By reading this I could feel those happenings in front of me. I can't imagine the sorrow of Bharatha suffered at that time. In this time we could not find out a brother like him. Bharatha is really great!!!

ramesh sadasivam said...

Yeah! That's true. Thanks for your comment Sherlet!

ramesh sadasivam said...

Actually I said yes, only because I did not want to boast. But the truth is, I do have a brother, who is no less than Bharatha, Lakshmana or Shatrughna. He is my younger brother, Manivannan. :)