The Ultimate Liberator!

For the seekers of knowledge
Can there be a knowledge?
better than
The Knowledge of The Divine, Shri Rama!

The one who liberated
Even the blades of grasses
And all the swarms of ants

Leaving none behind
That ever existed
In the Good City of Ayodhya

And placed them in
An exotic heaven
Created exclusively for them
By the Great Grandshire Brahma!

-Nammazhvaar


Ramayanam is Agriculture
Bhagavatham is Harvest
-Me


The twin-syllable, Rama
When a devotee exalts!
The Birth-Death cycle
It permanently halts

Goodness and Wealth
It everyday brings
Sin and poverty
It cleanses and shrinks

-Kambar


Goodness Honesty Sweetness Simplicity
Gentleness Strength Humility Bravery
Valour Talent Prowess Success
Memory Trustworthiness Heroism Genuinity
Such adorable qualities and so much more
By chanting Rama's name you will score!

-Me

My Lord's Story: Goodness Incarnate

Ramayanam in English poetry.

The Supreme Lord of the Universe was once born on this earth as a Human Being, faced challenges and had His share of pain and pleasure going through both good and bad times like any of us. Like any of us He too, took His turn in laughter and cry.

This humility of The Lord, that makes Him come down to earth and share with us our difficulties to show us a way to handle them is what I admire in Him. This quality of Him, makes me surrender to Him unconditionally and makes me want to sing His Glory on and on and on.

My Lord's Story is an out pour of my devotion that seeps out in gratitude for the pains He took to be a lighthouse for us, to cross the ocean of Samsara.

Links to all the posts have been provided in an order on the right side column.


Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lakshman Narrates Mother Sita’s Marriage



Lakshman was beaming with joy that he got a chance
Enouncing his Brother’s glories, he entered a trance
Guha was so engrossed in his friend’s words
He was lifted from earth to the heavenly worlds

Neither of them noticed the crowd that had gathered
The Nishada people there were completely smothered
By the qualities and achievements of their king’s Noble Friend
Sumanthra too was one among the audience, in perfect blend

With The Lord and Mother in their divine sleep
And the moon allowing its rays everywhere to seep
It looked like Vishnu and Lakshmi in their divine abode
The Milk Ocean and white moonlight in perfect accord

The crowd that gathered there to be at guard
Was like the Devas who came to worship the Lord
Lakshman equalled Indra in both status and lustre
For he was now at the head of the devotional cluster

Lakshman continued to narrate the events that followed
Listening to which, the crowd was completely wallowed

“Our Guru then led us into a country beyond compare
I felt, nature to other places, had been very unfair
Videha was the fabulous country’s name
Mithila was the capital city of the same

Rivers gushed like children running towards their mother
The flora that flourished looked like they never wither
The cattle were well fed and roamed about free
Running, hopping, and chasing, they played in glee

Elephants that were trained carried people around
Trumpeting like thunder for their pride to resound
In the streets, long and broad, traces were buried
Left behind by chariots while their horses hurried

I saw mansions, white, tall and majestic on the sides
And pairs of eyes vanishing suddenly behind the hides
With the mansions passing behind us like a river
Those eyes looked like diving fishes, caught by quiver

The king Janaka approached our guru on the way
Treating our guru like God, he started to pray
Told our guru that it was his good fortune
And that he had long awaited this opportune

After our guru blessed him, wishing him well
He ordered arrangements be made for us to dwell
We were guided to a palace and well received
And showered with care and comfort, unconceived

After a night’s rest we were invited to the king’s court
Where numerous kings and princes had gathered to court
The hand of Janaka’s daughter, Janaki, in marriage
Determined to return, not without Her, in their carriage

For the news of the Princess’ beauty had traveled far
Making the hearts of those princes a love filled jar
With mounting desire they were gathered there
Hoping to outwit one other and possess Her

Once the assembly was settled down and ready
King Janaka who was learned, wise and heady
Stood up, welcomed all and started to orate
About a bow that was kept in a decorated crate

“The bow that you see belonged to Shiva, the mighty
The Consort of Shakthi and an adorable deity
It had been handed to my lineage by Him as a gift
Even when a thousand men pulled, it could not be shift

But a few years ago I saw a wonder with my eyes
From then on I have been heaving endless sighs
Worrying about finding my daughter a perfect pair
This condition of lifting that bow, I had to declare

For I saw my little daughter who was just five or four
Carry this bow with ease and place it on the floor
And then replaced it with ease in a playful flow
While trying to take her ball caught beneath the bow

She has always been a startling delight
Right from the day she fell at my sight
For I found her wrapped in a silken cloth
While I tilled the earth, forgoing sloth

I thought of her as my child, given to me by earth
My wife Sunayana rejoiced like she had given birth
From then on Sita had been delighting us like a butterfly
Growing in the garden of our hearts, relishing love supply

My little girl, Sita, is now grown up and ripe
As to who would marry her, there is much hype
Anyone who lifts the bow and strings it tight
Would win her hand and wealth of enormous height”

Saying thus the King declared the contest to start
One by one the kings and princes tried their part
The bow moved for none, not even an inch
Making the princes’ pride, feel a pinch

My guru then ordered my Brother to lift the bow
Brother Ram obeyed, disinterested in competing though
He walked up to the dais with all eyes open wide
And lifted the bow high, from where it had lied

Holding it tight, He placed one end on the floor
Leaving all His competitors shaken to the core
While He tried to string, the mighty bow snapped
People forgot to close their mouths leaving it gapped

The sound while it snapped echoed like thunder
It lay dead like His rival’s hopes, broken asunder
The people of Mithila, resounded the hall with claps
Their applauding shouts and cries took long to lapse

The king was filled with joy and almost in tears
For he was waiting for this moment for many years
He stood up along with his men and applauded loud
Showering applause on my brother like a sonic cloud

Looked like the sound that arose while the bow had snapped
Echoed in volume and numbers while the large crowd clapped
The king raised his hands to silence the crowd
There was pin drop silence making him proud

“I thank this young Man for accomplishing this feat
I hereby declare Him as the winner of this meet
I humbly request Him to accept my daughter as his wife
Who would be devoted to Him through out Her life”

My Brother Rama sought my Guru’s permission to speak
And spoke, revealing His character which is always at its peak
“I would be more than happy to accept your gift, provided
Two conditions imposed by me have been met and abided

Oh! Venerable King! Forgive me for showing reluctance
But the expectations of my mind are of utmost importance
I want your daughter to choose, like any other princess
After getting a chance to see all other kings and princes

I believe, women are not like cattle or land
To make them gifts and exchange by hand
Incase your daughter chooses me again
The second condition by me will still remain

Only my father can fulfill my second condition
By coming here and giving his hearty permission
If these two conditions are fulfilled with ease
My heart, after that, would remain in peace”

The whole assembly applauded His virtuous plea
His rivals thanked Him, saying, His heart was a sea
Though some princes again sat back with renewed hope
Many of them wished my Brother must win the nuptial rope

King Janaka appreciated my Brother’s noble thought
Praised our lineage for the kind of men it had brought
He said, my brother seemed to be an epitome of that line
And blessed that my Brother’s glory would eternally shine

He then had his daughter brought to the court
Told her the change of events in a short report
And gave her permission to be anyone’s bride
But the victory was always on my brother’s side

Without turning to the side of Her awaiting suitors
Leaving some of their hopes again in shatters
She said she wanted to marry the one
Who had broken the bow and already won

“With that mighty descendant of Raghu I am in love
My fortunate hands to Him, in marriage, please bestow
I choose Him not because of what he had did
But because, my opinion in this He tried to bid”

With eyes fixed on the floor she spoke her mind
Went near her father, the king, and stood behind
I was amazed by the firmness of her decision
In choosing her groom without having His vision

King Janaka patted Her for being so wise
My Brother’s popularity was on the rise
My guru congratulated and blessed my brother
Who was basking in kudos and praiseful shower

The king sent forth messengers to my father’s place
Who set forth on horses and hurried as if on race
The other princes though half-hearted had to return home
While we were requested to make ourselves at home

It took a week for my father to arrive on the scene
He embraced us tight, for quite a while it had been
He praised my brother and showered him with kisses
And gave his permission for marriage with a lot of yeses

My Brother was very happy and relieved now
For with the bride in question he had fallen in love
He had fallen in love with her at the very first sight
While She entered the court and said He was right

The week that went was like an era to him
Not liking to eat much He had become slim
Though He knew our father would agree
He was eager and anxious to a great degree

The King Janaka received my father with due respect
And discussed with him about the marriage prospect
Both liked each other and came to terms very quickly
They became like long term friends and bonded thickly

The marriage was decided to be on the very next day
By Vashishta and Vishwamitra who had the final say
After reading horoscopes and checking auspicious time
The next day morning was set as prime

It was also decided, along with my brother
Bharatha, Shatrugna and I will also tether
For the king had, three more daughters at hand
Who were ready to receive their bridal strand

The Big Day arrived like the rising sun
Soaking everyone in joy leaving out none
It was a Wednesday the most auspicious of the week
The star was Uttaraphalguni that shines bright and sleek

The stage was decorated with flowers of uplifting smell
Anyone who saw that came under a momentary spell
At the centre of it was a sacred fire emitting light and heat
To be a witness to the marriage, it had already taken its seat

Brother Rama arrived there in His majesty like a second fire
Looking handsome beyond compare in His wedding attire
He was dressed in white interspersed with yellow
He came and took his place with a walk that was mellow

Mother Sita walked like a swan and stood beside
Fixing her eyes on the floor for her emotions to hide
She wore a fulvid silk sari, woven with golden threads
Her ornaments of gold glittering with gem imbeds

Janaka took the couples’ hand and united them
And spoke, clearing his choking voice with a hem
“I here by declare my daughter as your wife
To serve you she will dedicate her entire life

In ever following you, She will be your shadow
In ever brightening your glory, She will be your halo
Like a mother She will take care of your need
Like a daughter, to your words, She will pay heed”

Saying thus, into Brother Rama’s hands, he poured water
Music of blessings was heard from the divine quarter
The duo came around the fire in clockwise direction
Thus was re-established between them their eternal connection

Following their union we brothers too married the very same day
Bharatha married Mandavi and they looked like a sun and its ray
Then I married my Urmila who is like breathe to me
And Shathrugna was united with Shruthakirti for ever to be”

Listening to this marvelous story, the crowd forgot
To see the sun that was rising like a red apricot
So enthralling to everyone is the story of Ram!
Jai Shri Ram! Jai Jai Shri Ram!

No comments: