The Ultimate Liberator!

For the seekers of knowledge
Can there be a knowledge?
better than
The Knowledge of The Divine, Shri Rama!

The one who liberated
Even the blades of grasses
And all the swarms of ants

Leaving none behind
That ever existed
In the Good City of Ayodhya

And placed them in
An exotic heaven
Created exclusively for them
By the Great Grandshire Brahma!

-Nammazhvaar


Ramayanam is Agriculture
Bhagavatham is Harvest
-Me


The twin-syllable, Rama
When a devotee exalts!
The Birth-Death cycle
It permanently halts

Goodness and Wealth
It everyday brings
Sin and poverty
It cleanses and shrinks

-Kambar


Goodness Honesty Sweetness Simplicity
Gentleness Strength Humility Bravery
Valour Talent Prowess Success
Memory Trustworthiness Heroism Genuinity
Such adorable qualities and so much more
By chanting Rama's name you will score!

-Me

My Lord's Story: Goodness Incarnate

Ramayanam in English poetry.

The Supreme Lord of the Universe was once born on this earth as a Human Being, faced challenges and had His share of pain and pleasure going through both good and bad times like any of us. Like any of us He too, took His turn in laughter and cry.

This humility of The Lord, that makes Him come down to earth and share with us our difficulties to show us a way to handle them is what I admire in Him. This quality of Him, makes me surrender to Him unconditionally and makes me want to sing His Glory on and on and on.

My Lord's Story is an out pour of my devotion that seeps out in gratitude for the pains He took to be a lighthouse for us, to cross the ocean of Samsara.

Links to all the posts have been provided in an order on the right side column.


Monday, December 26, 2011

Salvation of a sinner


Lord Rama was watched by a pair of eyes
Eyes that were filled with fear, anger and vice
Those eyes glanced on Mother Sita’s beauty with greed
And on muscular Lakshman considering him as a sumptuous feed

The Noble Three to Atri and Anasuya had just bid farewell
Sage Atri and Anasuya had blessed them and wished them well
Now, into the deeper jungle they were on a roam
Looking for a suitable place to build their home

The man to whom those eyes belonged
Was a wicked demon who, constantly wronged
All types of animals and birds he gluttonously ate
When pious sages came his way, he ended their fate

He was tall; almost triple the height of Ram
When he moved about furiously, he created storm
Skins of animals covered his body that was rustic
Skulls of men hung around his neck that was cystic

He suddenly leaped from his hiding before The Noble Three
Took them by surprise and grasped Mother Sita in a fit of spree
Holding Mother Sita under his arms, he laughed like hell
Lord Rama and Lakshman came under a shocking spell

On seeing His wife gripped by another man, Lord Rama’s heart bled
Unable to bear the abominable sight, uncontrollable tears He shed
His courage broke down and He knelt in pain
In that despondent state, Lakshman would not allow Him remain

“Forgetting your prowess, this is no time to sorrow
Let’s teach this demon, a lesson. Arise! Oh, hero!
Have you forgotten the demons who were crushed by your might
Oh lion among men! Rise up like a fire and put up a fight!”

Hearing those words, Lord Rama’s grief changed to anger
And erupted like a volcano making Him much more stronger
An arrow from His bow hit the demon between his brows
Arrows started to emanate from His bow in continuous rows

Hit on various parts of his body by the arrows that rained
The huge demon, beyond a limit, was bitterly pained
Mother Sita, from his arms, he duly dropped
The shower of arrows immediately stopped

Lord Rama ran towards Mother Sita to hug
But was gripped by the demon in a sudden tug
The demon also carried Lakshman in his other hand
Not realising where such act would make him land

Holding Lord Rama and Lakshman the demon rose to his height
Mother Sita lost all heart seeing that dreadful sight
She cried bitterly like a child lost in a fair
Her eyes became red like a lotus pair

Lord Rama and Lakshman by their necks, the demon seized
Hoping to take their lives out of them, he desperately squeezed
Lord Rama delivered a punch with his fists, on the demon’s nose
Lakshman thrusted a thumb into the demon’s eyes, creating woes

On Lord Rama and Lakshman, the demon lost his grip
The warrior Brothers made use of the momentary slip
They drew their swords and started to deliver cuts
And were shocked to see the demon’s body showed no cuts

Lord Rama also noticed that on the arrow-hit spots
There was no blood or wound but only tiny little dots
Lord Rama realised the demon can only be hit
But his skin and flesh can never be split

Lord Rama dropped all weapons and started to punch
Talking to His brother about His hunch
“Lakshman! Though this demon is a wicked fraud
I think, He has secured a boon from some God

I hope you noticed our attack, on his body, has caused no wound
If only it had done, shedding profuse blood, he would’ve swooned
The only way to kill him would be to bury him in the ground
While I keep him in my hold, dig up a grave within a stound”

Like a dutiful servant, Lakshman started to dig up a grave
While Lord Rama started a fight that was furious and brave
Lord Rama caught the demon by his hand and started to twist
The demon fell on the ground yelling with a broken wrist

Lord Rama stamped him on the chest and pressed him under His Feet
Which removed, from the demon’s vision, the ignorance sheet
All the sins, fears, desires and hatred of the demon became vapour
His soul was released from bondage, and relieved from all stupor

Lord Rama noticed the demon did not anymore wriggle
Pressing the demon to the ground was no more a struggle
He looked down to see if the demon was dead, and He was surprised
He was being worshipped by the demon by whom He was despised

The demon touched Lord Rama’s Feet with his hands
From his eyes that were harsh, now hung tearful strands
As though he just awoke from a sleep
The demon talked with devotion, deep

“Lord! King of the world! And saviour of my soul!
To be under this Holy Feet is every wise man’s goal
The reason for that, now, I can see
Even a sinner like me, Your Feet make free

Though being a non-stop sinner and scum
Under Your Gracious Feet, I have come
Only because of Your Holy Feet’s touch
I am now able to remember my past as such

Before this birth, Thumburu was my name
Once forgetting my lord’s presence I carnally indulged without shame
From a state as a Gandharva in the skies
I was pushed down by my lord, Kubera, into mortal ties

In this birth, I am Jayan and Sathahrathai’s son
Numerous sages I have killed and warriors I have won
My name is Viradha that is widely dreaded
By my sinful acts, towards hell, I was headed

You came my way and changed my life’s course
To the joy seeping in my heart, You are the source
You have come down from Your level of height
To redeem sinners like me by casting Your sight

Though, merits earned by me are none
An act fitting Your Greatness You have done
My heart fills with gratitude for You without measure
Dying by Your hands to me would be a pleasure

Regarding the possibility of killing me, You were right
My body cannot be wounded in a weapon fight
Great Brahma is the one who gave me the boon
Please bury me in the grave and liberate me soon”

Saying thus Viradha ended his delivery of gratitude
Lord Rama was surprised by the sudden change of attitude
Anyway respecting the demon’s wish, Lord Rama decided to act
He threw him into the grave Lakshman dug and filled it with mud, intact

Lord Rama then hugged Mother Sita to remove Her fears
And kissed Her on the cheek that had strains of dried up tears
As Lord Rama was consoling Mother Sita this way
He heard from His behind someone say,

“Lord! May I go home? Please give me leave
On this earth for mortals, I can no more weave
Mother! Covered by ignorance, I behaved madly
Taking that as an insult do not remain sadly”

Lord Rama and Mother Sita turned and looked
On a celestial man, their sights were hooked
The man was dressed in silk and gold
He remained on air without any hold

The celestial man laughed, on seeing their astonished looks
He spoke further wanting a place in their good books
“Dear Lord! And reverent Mother! Do not be surprised
I am that Viradha who could not be incised!

This is my true form with which I live in the sky
I have regained my form as my sins have gone dry
It is time for me to go back to the world of music and dance
I feel blessed as upon The Both of You my eyes could glance

Forgive me Lord! For the offence I unknowingly did
I like to give You some information before, farewell, I bid
I realise The Three of You are coming after meeting with Atri Sage
I also realise Rishi Sarabhanga awaits You, at the end of his age”

Saying thus, the gandharva Thumburu, to Sarabhanga’s ashram, gave directions
And then arose to the sky and disappeared into the heavenly directions
Leaving behind on the earth, a surprised and amused Ram
All the while singing, “Jai Shri Ram! Jai Jai Shri Ram!!”

No comments: