The Ultimate Liberator!

For the seekers of knowledge
Can there be a knowledge?
better than
The Knowledge of The Divine, Shri Rama!

The one who liberated
Even the blades of grasses
And all the swarms of ants

Leaving none behind
That ever existed
In the Good City of Ayodhya

And placed them in
An exotic heaven
Created exclusively for them
By the Great Grandshire Brahma!

-Nammazhvaar


Ramayanam is Agriculture
Bhagavatham is Harvest
-Me


The twin-syllable, Rama
When a devotee exalts!
The Birth-Death cycle
It permanently halts

Goodness and Wealth
It everyday brings
Sin and poverty
It cleanses and shrinks

-Kambar


Goodness Honesty Sweetness Simplicity
Gentleness Strength Humility Bravery
Valour Talent Prowess Success
Memory Trustworthiness Heroism Genuinity
Such adorable qualities and so much more
By chanting Rama's name you will score!

-Me

My Lord's Story: Goodness Incarnate

Ramayanam in English poetry.

The Supreme Lord of the Universe was once born on this earth as a Human Being, faced challenges and had His share of pain and pleasure going through both good and bad times like any of us. Like any of us He too, took His turn in laughter and cry.

This humility of The Lord, that makes Him come down to earth and share with us our difficulties to show us a way to handle them is what I admire in Him. This quality of Him, makes me surrender to Him unconditionally and makes me want to sing His Glory on and on and on.

My Lord's Story is an out pour of my devotion that seeps out in gratitude for the pains He took to be a lighthouse for us, to cross the ocean of Samsara.

Links to all the posts have been provided in an order on the right side column.


Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My experiments with the Truth, called 'Raam Naam!'

Lord Rama's name can be chanted in different ways. Depending on our mood we can choose one of them. For example, when I am peaceful, content and when my mind is in perfect control, chanting 'Shri Rama Jeyam' repeatedly is best for me. It helps me keep my mind in the present. When I am relaxed but really not in a mood to do anything worthwhile and just want to play, I start singing, 'Shri Rama Jeya Rama Jeya Jeya Rama'. It helps widen the vision of my mind by tuning my mind to a very long wavelength. When I feel intense, and when I am in a mood for some real action, I chant 'Rama Rama' repeatedly for a long time expelling all air from my lungs and then I take a long deep breath to fill my lungs with air again. This is very intense way of chanting Lord Rama's name.

There is another way of chanting Lord Rama's name: Saying 'Rama' once and then being silent for a moment and then again saying 'Rama' and then being silent again. This can go on for as long as possible. This is, combining meditation and chanting. I believe this is the way Lord Hanuman chants Lord Rama’s name.

Among all spiritual practices, chanting Lord Rama’s name is the most joyful and fun-filled one, because one does not need to stay away from anything to chant Lord Rama’s name. You can chant Lord Rama’s name while traveling, walking, cooking, playing and bathing etc., I do it all the time. I chant Lord Rama’s name even while watching movies. I chant Lord Rama’s name while playing games on my computer. When I am unable to do it loudly I do it in my mind. In fact, in the morning, when we chant it for an hour or so, we can see that the mind repeats it even without us making any effort.

Once it so happened that while I was going in a share auto, I was chanting. The driver played a cine song. The tune was so catchy that I started to sing that song. Then I realised I had forgotten chanting Lord Rama’s name. Giving it some thought, I realised it is the tune that makes us feel good and makes us want to sing. Not the lyrics. So I replaced the lyrics with ‘Lord Rama’s name and started to chant in the tune of the song. Since then, any music being played has never been a disturbance to me. Because, whichever tune that comes my way is processed and given out by my mind with Lord Rama’s name in it. My ‘Kolaveri for Lord Rama’ is one such outcome. To read that post please click here. Sometimes I write lyrics about Lord Rama for the tune but mostly just fill it with ‘Lord Rama’s name.’

In my experience I’ve realised chanting Lord Rama’s name energises us in a very special way. After Chanting Lord Rama’s name for a whole long day, you will definitely see that you feel much much lighter physically. Once, few of my friends had come to my room. Some were playing videos in my system and some were chatting etc., So, I too participated in the fun and, at the same time, I kept writing ‘Shri Rama Jeyam’ in a notebook. At the end of that day too, I felt much lighter. I had written about 3000 and plus ‘Shri Rama Jeyams’ that day. So, it is not that you have to chant it. Even writing ‘Shri Rama Jeyam’ has a very good effect in us. But while writing, it is always best to stick to ‘Shri Rama Jeyam’ rather than trying other combinations of Lord Rama’s Name.

By chanting Lord Rama’s name our health shows monumental improvement. It brings things in control when everything seems to go out of control. It helps us in decision making. We need not think much to make the right decision; it just becomes obvious to us. Chanting Lord Rama’s name is one easy way by which you can just do things without bothering much about whether it is right or wrong and still you can see that you are not wrong.

Chanting Lord Rama’s name has made me less obstinate. I have realised that our mind becomes more open to ideas and suggestions given by others. Also, I’ve realised, chanting Lord Rama’s name helps us be in perfect sync with life, i.e., we need not try hard to plan to make things fall in place. The disjointed and seemingly unsettled parts of our lives slowly start to connect with each other and settle down as if they were all already pre-planned. All we need to do is to chant Lord Rama’s Name and put the best of our efforts and approach people with a good will and an open mind. It helps us identify the people we should keep in touch with, and the people we must ignore. It disables our negative qualities so much that it becomes difficult for us to make mistakes, even if we try. Due to the power of the old habits, we may make mistakes, but they too will be eradicated eventually as we proceed with our chanting efforts.

Chanting Lord Rama’s name is the most supreme spiritual practice. Not because it is the only spiritual practice necessary, but because this one practice will make us get involved in other practices that we really need. For eg., only after chanting Lord Rama’s name I started to fast on Ekadasi days. Then I added, fasting for Chathurthi to my schedule. Now I fast for minimum five days a month and keep awake for ‘Shiva Rathiri’ too. I also started to do ‘Thoppukaranam’ for Lord Ganesha and offer water to Sun God. Each of these practices helps me in different ways. Anyway chanting ‘Lord Rama’s name has been the foundation for all these spiritual practices. And it is still the main spiritual practice I ever do.

A simple demonstration of how effective Lord Rama’s name could be can be understood by the following practice. Try doing some Yoga posture that is difficult for you. Chant Lord Rama’s name for quite sometime, may be a day or two, continuously as much as possible. Then try the same posture, you will find that your body easily bends the way you like. It has happened for me.

Krishna Himself wanted Lord Hanuman to sit on top of His chariot during the Kurukshetra war, so that ‘Rama’s Name’ would protect His chariot from all sorts of mantras that are charged in the attackers’ weapons. What more does one have to say about the power of My Lord’s Name? In fact, this story is what made me start and stick to chanting My Lord’s Name, ardently.

Above all chanting Lord Rama’s name is sheer pleasure. The joy in chanting Lord Rama’s name is unparalleled by any other pleasure one can find on this earth. Once my friend told me, “I like to drink! I love the kick it gives. But what I hate is the unhealthy state it leaves me in, the next day.” He complainingly asked why there is no such drink that can give pleasure and be healthy at the same time. I can tell for sure, chanting Lord Rama’s Name is one such drink!

So much, and much more can be said about chanting Lord Rama’s name. But what is the point in talking about the ocean of bliss and standing on the shore rather than jumping into it and being soaked in its goodness?

Always chant My Lord's Name and be happy and healthy. Jai Shri Ram!

18 comments:

Geetha said...

Jai Shri Ram!
What is the point in talking about the ocean of bliss and standing on the shore rather than jumping into it and being soaked in its goodness...
It is an excellent Ram Naam article.
The flow is so good and real. I just jumped into the ocean to enjoy the bliss of Ram Naam. Ram Naam sathya hai. Jai shri Ram.

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks. Jai Shri Ram!!

Unknown said...

Jai Jai Shri Ram

Thanks.. Raam Naam Really Helps.. It also helps you in following righteous path. What you said is very true, once when one sets up chanting Raam Naam, you will automatically get involved other righteous activities like: Daan, Vratam, Visiting Religious Shrines.
Request everyone to read the articles by Great Saint Bramhachaitanya Gondavlekar Maharaj on the following link.

http://www.brahmachaitanya.org/sri-brahmachaitanya-grid

Vikram

ramesh sadasivam said...

Jai Shri Ram!

Shravan said...

Hi Sir,

I am from Ahmedabad, i loved your views on RAM NAAM, I am film maker and would like to send you a copy of my film. Please let me know your postal address.

Regards

xcodehawk said...

excellent article....just a question
does chanting of Sri Rama Jayam alone with utmost bakti can help a devotee face the hurdles in life , avoid incidients , pacify bad grahas , reduce impacts of karma...so on?

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks for your question. It is not like Rama Namam is the one-stop solution to all problems...But it is the ultimate and supreme foundation on which you can build a sorrow-free trouble-free life. What Rama Nama does to us is, it makes us 100% good. So when you become 100% good, you stop accumulating negative-karma and start earning good-karma. This is a first step to a heaven-like life. Your life becomes heaven when there is no negative Karma left in you.

To fight the negative impacts of planets at the energy level worship of Sun will be very helpful. This is something with Lord Rama Himself did. All His life he offered water to the Sun, thrice a day. Also while struggled to kill Ravana, Sage Agasthiar taught Him Adithya Hrthayam. (a Sanskrit hymn on Lord Surya)Lord Rama recited Adithya Hrthayam and then it became easy for Him to kill Ravana.

To avoid accidents, Rama Namam itself is sufficient. About facing the hurdles of life, it is something we can achieve in the long run. It can be achieved by living life with a self-less attitude. Selfless attitude doesn't mean we have to work for free. But we can give our best with enthusiasm and without frowning.

I tried to condense a lot of things... :) Shri Rama Jayam!

devotee said...

keep writing about your experience ...it is very helpful for devotees like me who are new ....plz keep sharing ...god bless u

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks. I will. Shri Rama Jeyam!

Unknown said...

Hello sir! Lord shriramar is my ishtadev since I was young.I keep ekadasi fast.as u said sir,Rama nama really gives alot of mental strength to perform any activity.it's great to read ur experiences.m 23 ,n my experience is very less for my age ,still I can guarantee u that Rama nama is the most powerful name i have ever encountered.Also shriramar is the most generous god I have ever seen.Thank u for sharing ur experiences. Watever we do in life is for shriramar n we must see Lord in all is what m trying to practise. Let's c how far m able to accomplish :).world is my family :)

Unknown said...

True.shri Rama nama is the greatest nama I have encountered. I follow this principle : see God in all,see God's will in any situation you face ,acceptance ,world is my family,selfless service to people is service to lord, and namas,my ultimate shield from worldly distractions.I truely believe in a balance between spiritual n worldly life.Thank u for sharing ur experiences sir ! :)

Unknown said...

True.shri Rama nama is the greatest nama I have encountered. I follow this principle : see God in all,see God's will in any situation you face ,acceptance ,world is my family,selfless service to people is service to lord, and namas,my ultimate shield from worldly distractions.I truely believe in a balance between spiritual n worldly life.Thank u for sharing ur experiences sir ! :)

Unknown said...

Thank You so much for the wonderful post
Your post increased my faith, I'm feeling strong
May lord Ram bless you and your family always
||Jai Sriram||

meenu gupta said...

You excellently explained that why lord Ram's name is bigger than Lord Ram. The joy of ram naam can be experienced only . That joy is beyond words. But you recreated that joy with your words. Thanks for sharing your experience. May Ram ji bless you.
Jai Shree ram

meenu gupta said...

You excellently explained that why lord Ram's name is bigger than Lord Ram. The joy of ram naam can be experienced only . That joy is beyond words. But you recreated that joy with your words. Thanks for sharing your experience. May Ram ji bless you.
Jai Shree ram

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks. Shri Rama Jeyam!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your experience with shree ram naam sharing to us. जय श्री सीतारामहनुमान जी

Hari said...

I am so so glad to visit this site of a great Rama-bhakta. I am an ardent reciter of Sri Vishnu Sahasranama from childhood. In one of the Puranas, lord Shiva tells Parvathi devi, the recitation of the name of lord Raama is akin to the recital of the entire Vishnu Sahasranama. Hence it is always advised to prefix and suffix the recital of Vishnu sahasranama with the Rama nama. Also, we know that Rahukaal is considered an inauspicious time for starting new activities. But it is a most suitable time for reciting the Rama-naama. Like the Sun throwing his light and removing darkness, the ardent recital of divine Raama naama will cleanse our minds of all rahu-darkness and make it full of divine light and wisdom. Rama Rama Rama.